It is easy to watch a movie in VR if you have installed the Virtual Desktop app on your PC and brought a supported VR headset. Let’s know more features of Virtual Desktop and use it to watch movies in virtual reality view.
What is Virtual Desktop?
Virtual Desktop is an application developed for the Oculus Rift / Rift S, HTC Vive, Valve Index and WMR headsets that lets you use your computer in VR. You can browse the web, watch movies, or even play games on a giant virtual screen.
Virtual Desktop Main Features:
- Hardware accelerated 360 video playback
- Ability to play/stream YouTube 360 videos
- Browse and view 360 photos
- MilkDrop support for music visualization
- 3D Side-By-Side video support
- Game launcher with voice commands
- Environment Editor to create custom environments
- Steam Workshop integration for environments
- Dashboard integration so you can see/use your desktop in any VR game
Virtual Desktop works with Windows 7 SP1 / Windows 8.1 / Windows 10 (recommended) and requires your computer has at least 700 MB available storage. If you are using a Windows ‘N’ edition, you will need to install the Media Feature Pack.
- 5 Movie-watching Apps for Watching Movies in VR
- How to Watch Movies in VR? Virtual Reality Cinema at Home
Use Virtual Desktop to Watch Movies in VR
Virtual Desktop does not support cross-play, so you should purchase the right Virtual Desktop for your device. After installing the Virtual Desktop on your Windows computer, you need to setup Virtual Desktop app to prepare for watching movies. Note: your PC and headset should connect to the same WiFi.
Step 1. Open Virtual Desktop on your VR headset. It will provide you with your Oculus username
Step 2. Open Virtual Desktop Streamer on your Desktop and it will prompt you for your Oculus username.
Step 3. Once you have Virtual Desktop Streamer running, your desktop will show up in the Virtual Desktop app on your headset. You can now use your headset as a VR desktop screen.
That’s it! You can browse a movie to watch the movie online or open the local file to find your downloaded films. However, you should break for a while to let your eyes relax after watching a movie in VR.